Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Saying Goodbye

Today was my last day of work and my last day in theater. It started off with ward rounds (which I led by myself...no consultant...the norm now). I then proceeded to theater where I was operating by myself. I did a diagnostic laparoscopy and a couple of D&Cs, which I have never done by myself. My consultant then showed up to do a couple of myomectomies with me (surgeries to remove fibroids from the uterus). The day ended by taking out a huge 11 wk sized ectopic (which thankfully had not ruptured) by myself. I was concerned but it was an AMAZING day!  No complications.  Thank God!  Seriously, prayer works.
Proof that I'm actually working here...I'm in the grey gown
Our OB team...Esther and Nancy are in the middle
Our OB anesthesia team and Dr. Osoti, my consultant (far right)
The staff in theater was so nice today. They all were sad when I started taking my final pictures. My two nurses, Nancy and Esther, have been the best to work with. They're really funny women. Esther was my own personal paparazzi and took all the pictures I wanted.  Nancy...well, despite her humor, whatever Nancy says goes.  They've both been around for more than 20 years and have even taught my consultant. They have made me promise to keep in touch, which I will make a true effort to do.

I will miss the constant worship music playing while operating.  I won't miss the heat or the fact that the lighting is horrible for operating.  I will miss the tea breaks, fast room turnovers, and free Kenyan food I get for lunch.  I won't miss the fact that half the instruments work.  Even still...I'd do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment